Frozen gluten free buns….a tomato in the fruit bowl, some lettuce in the crisper, a can of black beans…this sad list of food is a sure sign we are in need of groceries, however, with these few ingredients I was able to come up with the best black bean vegetarian burgers we’ve ever had!
Good Ol’ Black Bean Burgs
– 20 minutes
– Makes 4
What you need:
– 1 can of black beans
– 3 tbsp mayonaise
– 1/3 cup gluten free bread crumbs
– 1/4 tsp cayenne
– 1/2 tsp oregano
– 2 tbsp vegetable oil
– 4 gluten free hamburger buns
1. Blend 3/4 of the drained, rinsed black beans with the mayo, bread crumbs, cayenne and oregano in a food processor until all is combined and the mixture is a smooth puree.
2. Transfer the puree to a separate bowl and mix in the rest of the black beans.
3. Form the black bean mixture into 4 patties (if you want bigger patties, double the recipe).
4. Heat oil in a frying pan (I used non-stick)
5. Transfer the patties into the pan, fry on each side for about 4 minutes, or until they are crisp and browned.
6. Serve the patty on a bun, top with your favourite burger condiments!
As I said, this was the best black bean burger I have ever had…and I’m not being biased!