As careful as we can be when it comes to avoiding gluten, sometimes the inevitable happens and gluten creeps up in some way or another.
There have been a few incidences within the past month where gluten has crept into my diet accidentally, and I end up paying the price with a flare up of my digestive issues.
Pain and bloating are the main symptoms (along with a few others, like a foggy feeling) and I also feel exhausted for days. Gluten definitely isn’t my friend!
When I get ‘glutened’ these are a few of my go-to healing methods.
They’re also helpful if you’re suffering from indigestion, are bloated or are just experieincing stomach discomfort.
- A heating pack. Once gluten hits, my stomach tenses up – almost like a ‘Charlie horse’ but with more pain. I find that heat helps the muscles relax. Right now I have an ‘aromatherapy’ scented, microwavable pack that has lost all scent and just smells like burnt popcorn. Comforting but smelly.
- A nap. I get so sleepy and sore that the only thing I find bearable is sleeping it out.
- Two extra strength tylenol every four hours…it helps ease my pain substantially.
- Peppermint tea.
- Child’s pose or lying on my back and bringing my knees to my chest.
- Have you heard of the ‘I Love You’ baby massage technique to give babies with colic? Try it on yourself, it’s very comforting. It may seem silly, but massaging your own tummy helps to relieve some of the pain.
When you’re experiencing stomach discomfort, what do you find helpful?
*Disclaimer. I am not a medical professional. Always consult your doctor.